How We Do It: NEST
Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.William James (1842–1910); pioneering American psychologist and philosopher
The NEST Method℠ is a structured approach to revolutionizing the way orphanages are run and managed. The NEST Method℠:
NURTUREs and EMPOWERs children and their caregivers;
STRENGTHENs operational processes and systems; and
TRANSFORMs institutions into homes where children thrive.
The NEST Method℠ has three phases: Select, Incubate, and Partner.
PHASE 1: SELECT
Potential candidates for The NEST Method are identified through recommendations from NGOs (non-profits), government agencies, donors, friends, and other members of The Miracle Foundation family. Orphanages interested in being considered for NEST can apply by filling out the Expression of Interest application or e-mailing Miracle Foundation India directly.
The Miracle Foundation considers children’s homes that are:
- Located in a small town or rural region.
- Registered as an non-governmental organization (NGO) under any of the following Indian Acts:
- Society registered under the Societies Registration Act
- Charitable Trust
- Company under Section 25 of the Companies Act
- Licensed and hold a valid Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) registration.
- Licensed as a Children’s Home and certified under India’s Juvenile Justice Act, as well as hold all other licenses required to legally operate a Children’s Home.
- In operation for at least three years.
- Equipped with the capacity to support at least 50 children.
- Accepting of children of all religions.
Once a candidate has completed their “Expression of Interest” and Miracle Foundation India has confirmed that all requirements are met, the Miracle Foundation India team completes a screening process. This includes a background check and an on-site visit of the children’s home.
During this rigorous Selection phase, each home undergoes a comprehensive evaluation, including a financial assessment and a due diligence evaluation, to determine the organization’s current level of operation and to confirm that the staff and board are in alignment with The Miracle Foundation’s philosophy, values, and mission. As part of this evaluation process, there is an in-depth, on-site visit from our team of experts who assess the organization from two different perspectives:
- Alignment with The Miracle Foundation’s Rights of the Child: by a team of social workers
- Alignment with Finance and Governance standards: by an independent accounting firm
Once it is determined that the home is an appropriate candidate, Miracle Foundation India staff collaborates with staff in the orphanage to establish a baseline and identify the areas where the home needs help, and the steps necessary to address these gaps. This information is compiled into a mutually agreed upon project/funding plan, which is then submitted to The Miracle Foundation Board for approval.
PHASE 2: INCUBATE
After both the children’s home and the project/funding plan are approved, we execute a contract and move the children’s home into the Incubation phase. At that point, we begin working with the staff to implement the plan and start improving the lives and health of the children.
In Incubation, we focus on three specific areas: the children, their family of caregivers and the operation. We immediately begin a variety of programs, including health interventions to ensure the health of the child. The Incubation phase also provides the team at the children’s home and The Miracle Foundation team the opportunity to work together and discover if we can establish a good and sustainable working relationship.
Every project/funding plan includes:
- Specific program timelines and goals for improvement
- Metrics/Impact Indicators to measure results
- An incremental funding commitment that ensures both parties have a shared stake in the outcome:
Every project/funding plan includes funding, mentoring, and monitoring that will have a beneficial impact on the children and the staff. During Incubation, The Miracle Foundation and the children’s home work to ensure the following:
- Clean Water
- Nutritious Food
- Essential Healthcare (including vaccinations and de-worming)
- A Stable, Loving, Nurturing Environment
- Caregiver and Staff Training
Children’s homes that meet all of the milestones of the Incubate phase move to the Partner phase.
PHASE 3: PARTNER
Once an orphanage graduates from Incubation, it becomes a Partner with The Miracle Foundation. Partnership is an on-going improvement phase in which additional programs, resources, and funding are provided to continue raising standards and meeting all requirements, so that each children’s home can give their children a brighter future.
Please click on the links below or visit our What We Provide section to learn more.
- Education Program
- Improved Care and Increased Staff for the Children, including Improvement of Housemother to Child Ratio
- Ambassador Program
This ensures that each and every child has the opportunity to fully realize their rights and ultimately to reach their full potential.
We are piloting The NEST Method℠ in India, but our ultimate goal is to enable others to bring this unprecedented depth of care to orphaned children everywhere, helping orphans globally. Most orphan charities focus on survival; The Miracle Foundation’s NEST Method℠ ensures that they THRIVE by giving children without parents the personal care, attention, and stability that are such a vital part of helping children lead fulfilling and happy adult lives. The NEST Method℠ can transform any orphanage — with staff committed to the best interest of the child — into a nurturing home. Ultimately, we can improve orphanages and the trajectory of orphaned children’s lives throughout the world.
Together, we can change the lives of orphaned children. Will you join us? There are many ways you can get involved with The Miracle Foundation and make a huge difference in the life of a child. Please call us at 512.329.8635 or e-mail us directly.